A TALE OF BEING GIRL CHILD
From Regret to Relief
“I am that drop of water which is lost in a vast desert
I exist, but my presence may not be known or noticed.
I slip in old dusty corners of unfamiliarity, where my heart rests. But nobody visits me, because they like bright blue tables set up where sun rays beam through every window.
I exist. I don’t know if they understand this”
Similar is the tale of Srikarshika who is an unwanted child of her mother who wanted to kill her in the womb because through sex determination test she got to know that it was a girl child. The mother tried her best to abort the child by using locally made medicines but since that was administered at the wrong time it resulted in the birth of a deformed child. The mother committed this heinous act of aborting the girl in the womb during the 7th month of pregnancy because she considered her a burden on family. The mother failed to kill the fetus which to lead to the lifelong deformities in the girl.
After the birth, the baby was incubated for 45 days and the doctors at the private medical clinic had asked the parents to take the child to specialized children hospital (i.e Nilofur Hospital–Hyderabad) and parents were just callous and oblivious to the whole situation.
After seeing the displeasure of the parents, her grandmother came forward to take care of the child. She has been taking care of Srikarshika and after bringing her under the ambit of Enlight she has been regularly attending meetings. Srikarshika underwent an operation for her limb when she was 3 months old. The child has many complexities and the grandmother is taking care of all her medical requirements. When Srikarshika was 3 years old, she underwent cardiology related operation and the biological parents never enquired about her.
The grandmother (Ragamani) stays alone in a rented house and is dependent on the income of younger daughter, a sole bread earner of the family. The medical expenses for the child has pushed the family into debt and they face discrimination from the community as well.
The Enlight Project identified Srikarshika in 3rd year (2017) and as a priority helped her get SADERAM Certificate. They motivated the grandmother to attend therapeutical camps that are being organized as part of the project. She was taken to Eye hospital for treatment and was under observation so that the eye sight could be recovered. Presently she is able to see from the near distance but has low vision and it would be improved in future as per the doctor’s suggestion. The project has facilitated all the entitlements that have been provided by Telangana Government for the disabled.
Due to all these challenges and medical complications, she has never been to school, the project is planning to enroll her in school in next academic year. Where the biological mother tried to kill the daughter, grandmother came forward to quench the famished cries of the baby. Srikarshika’s grandmother aspires for a bright life of her granddaughter and trying her best to get her best medical care along with education.
- A TALE OF BEING GIRL CHILD
- Capgemini employees spread smiles
- MY SAVING IS MY EDUCATION
- Building back lost lives
- Kindling a dream
- Samridhi now likes solving maths problems
- No looking back for Manisha
- Education changes Life
- Kutty teachers
- Tyrst with education
- Rubini likes to speak in English
- Enlight brings light in the life of Afshan
- A tripartite effort for inclusion
- Children start fund for education to help the needy
- Big wonder from simple idea
- I want to teach all subjects
- The Mothers Committee
- Capgemini wins CSR Excellence Award 2017 by Indywood and the Government of Telangana
- Enlight wins CSR Journal Excellence Awards 2017
- Enlight among UN GCNI top 10 best practices in India
- Bureaucracy Today National Award for Excellence in CSR and Sustainability
- Enlight wins Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya Award
Events and News
- Legal Awareness program for Enlight project women in Bengaluru
- SIRAGUGAL 2018 - Flying High this summer
- Enlight Trichy organized Eye Camp for children and elders
- INDIA TODAY TV documents ENLIGHT project
- Capgemini CSR Manager - Poland visits Enlight project in Hyderabad
- Review, Reflection and Planning Exercise held